Children of Merlin - Harry Potter 1980s RPG
Hi! - Printable Version

+- Children of Merlin - Harry Potter 1980s RPG (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore)
+-- Forum: OFF-GAME (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: INTRODUCTIONS (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Hi! (/showthread.php?tid=134)

Hi! - candlewhisperer - 12-11-2023

Hi I'm new! My name is Janelle. My main character is Effie Thornheart. I used to participate in a Harry Potter roleplay a long time ago but am just now returning after a long hiatus. I’m in school to become a RN through online courses so I spend lots of time on the computer procrastinating lol. I love to read. My favourite genres are fantasy, fantasy romance and historical fiction. Can't wait to get back into roleplaying and looking forward to seeing how this plot progresses Smile

RE: Hi! - Kieran - 12-15-2023

Welcome to the board, Janelle. Smile I'm so happy you liked this site enough to join us upon returning from your long hiatus and we'll do our best so that you will be happy with your choice too. Heart

I was an avid reader as a child, of a number of genres. I was already a teen when the first Harry Potter book came out so I didn't get to grow up with the books. Actually I didn't discover the HP universe until early adult years but nontheless ever since they've been closest to my heart out of any and all books I've read in my life. Except Peter Pan, that shares the number one place in my heart. As a child I had no favourite genre but since I discovered the Potter books and the Lord of the Rings book it's absolutely been fantasy. Although in recent years I've mostly listened to audiobooks rather than properly read books, but am making attempts to go back to real reading. As I do recall it's an entirely different experience of a book and in a way much more fun. I'm into historical fiction, too. Especially 19th century settings, but just about any era before 21st century can peak my interest if the plot sounds good. That's one of the few reasons I chose the 1980s and early '90s for this RPG's setting.

RE: Hi! - candlewhisperer - 12-15-2023

Hi Kieran! Thank you for the welcome. I just recently got into audiobooks! The first audiobooks I ever listened to were the Harry Potter series. Now I read regular books, ebooks and audiobooks. Audiobooks are starting to take over more though, they’re just so convenient to listen to while you do other things like chores. I do find though that sometimes with audiobooks my mind does wander, I focus better when I’m actually reading. I like the 80s/90s choice for the RP setting!

RE: Hi! - Kieran - 12-15-2023

I'm so glad you do. Seems most people prefer current day/second-gen Harry Potter RPGs or literally anything but this overlooked era.

Yeah, my mind wanders too when I listen to audiobooks especially if I am listening to them whilst actively doing something else at the same time. Which is why I try to sit/lie down with snacks and actively just listen if it's a book that is particularly interesting. I don't care for e-books. I might enjoy them if I had  a proper reading device instead of a heavy tablet or a heavy phone. Besides, I stare at screens too much anyway. Best for me to go with the other two options. Wink

RE: Hi! - candlewhisperer - 12-18-2023

For audiobooks I've started listening to books I've read before and really like and want to reread. Then it matters a little less if I get distracted. I have an ereader and it does make a world of a difference compared to my tablet or phone. I also stare at screens far too much. I do prefer traditional books overall.