Children of Merlin - Harry Potter 1980s RPG
Making magical memories - Printable Version

+- Children of Merlin - Harry Potter 1980s RPG (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore)
+-- Forum: IN-GAME (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: LONDON (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Suburbs (https://hiddenkiss.net/nevermore/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Thread: Making magical memories (/showthread.php?tid=117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Making magical memories - Stephen Hunter King - 02-02-2023

"Because I know all the things you've been missing and you don't," Hunter stated as he put on his shoes, then his broom held against his right shoulder he ran across the foyer, dining room and kitchen to the patio door in the back. Both something he should not have done but did't sacrifice even a split second thought to. Fortunately the day had been dry so his sneakers were not muddy. He nodded at the bike helmet situation, though he wasn't sure if he still had his old helmet around, having been quite sratched and replaced with a new one earlier that spring. If not, he was sure Dad would copy the new one.

"You'll probably fly into something immediately," he predicted jovially as he burst through the patio door into their decent sized garden, onyo the patio tiles and turned right, heading towards the bike storage.
There was plenty of open space in the middle but the back was filled with couple of apple trees, a very old oak tree, a climbing frame, souble slide, a sandbox, a bench and a shed. The front of the garden was mostly empty but they had already brought out some of their patio furniture, which had charms cast on them protecting them from rain. The garden worked well enough for calm practice but certainly not for very high speed racing.

RE: Making magical memories - Samuel Connor Rees - 02-18-2023

Sam just shook his head a little and tried to keep up with his friend. He didn't even notice that they ran through the house itself, something Mr King would not be happy about at all. But even if he noticed he wouldn't care much - he was going to fly! Or maybe fly into something as Hunter suggested but Sam was perfectly ok with that. "I might... but who cares! I am going to try FLYING." at this point it was incredibly difficult to hide the pure joy in his voice. Soon enough they reached the garden, Sam knew it well, they were playing here often enough but at this point, he wouldn't care if there was a flesh-eating dinosaur in the middle, he was so giddy it was impossible to remain standing still. "So? What now? How will this work... what should I do?" he was asking one question after another, completely forgetting about the helmet. But since they beat Mr King here he had to wait so he just turned to Hunter. "How difficult was it to hide all that from me? I know you... so I can't believe you managed." he just had to tease him a little.

He had about a million other questions - why was he a wizard when his parents were not? How did magic work? What were the rules of magic, they had to be a ton of them. If magic was real were other weird things real? Aliens, cryptids... the Bermuda triangle? But all that had to wait until he did some flying! One step at a time...

RE: Making magical memories - Stephen Hunter King - 04-01-2023

"Not very. Mum and Dad let us play with anything super magical only supervised until lately. Now that I'm older they trust me more with some things," Hunter stated after thinking back a while. "I probably did tell you and my other friends about stuff when we first moved here but I don't think any of you have really believed me," he continued as he opened the bike storage door. "And they take me quite often to places where we can be with other kids of our kind."
The boy picked up his helmet which hand on one of the handles of his bike. Still, bubbling with excitement to finally share magic with a friend who never knew about it, Hunter didn't wish to wait any longer than he must.
"Want to try my new broomstick right now?" he urged with a bit of a grin as he offered the helmet to Sam, still hanging on to his broom himself.

RE: Making magical memories - Samuel Connor Rees - 04-14-2023

Now when Sam thought about it Hunter had a point. When they were younger they were swapping incredible stories that were mostly just imagination. Or so he thought. But now it seemed quite possible that Hunter was actually telling the truth. That was crazy. As was the fact that he offered him the option to try his new broom.
"Are you sure about that? You just told me that I was going to crush your old one... and with this super new one, I would probably end up dead. Or worse... I could break it." it was a very tempting offer but he wasn't going to risk their friendship (and his life) by destroying his new broom.
"I think I will wait for your dad." he decided after a moment.

RE: Making magical memories - Stephen Hunter King - 08-02-2023

Hunter was glad Sam thought breaking this broom would be worse than dying, which only made him more confident of wanting to let him try it. He didn't think his friend would die if he wore a helmet. But he didn't push further this time as the fear of one of his most priced possessions breaking had now been seeded in his mind, despite of the model's reputation as very durable. Jacob had made sure of it before buying something so expensive for a 9-year old like his. Hunter put on his helmet and snapped its lock close.
"Well, I won't," he declaired, rushed to the door where he'd left his broom, commanded it up and mounted it. In a blink of an eye he was already flying around the garden shed, though only a meter or so above the ground. The boy didn't look quite as silly on a broom now that he had sneakers and a sporty helmet on, though to eyes not used to seeing people flying on brooms without long flowing robes and witch hats it might have still looked odd. He flew gracefully and effortlessly, but the broom went faster than he'd expected so as he rounded back from behind the shed he just barely avoided colliding with the large oak tree next to it, steering to the left just in time to fly between it and the shed.
"Are you sure? This feels amazing!" he said as he made laps around the thick trunk, increasing height a bit everyt time.

RE: Making magical memories - Samuel Connor Rees - 11-14-2023

Sam just chuckled a bit when he learned that Hunter was not going to wait for his dad and he could hardly blame him. He watched his friend getting on his broom and faster than he would have expected he was already circling. Sam was suddenly glad he didn't take his offer, the speed felt dangerous and he was positive he would crash instantly. Well only if he was able to even get off the ground in the first place. Seeing as even Hunter barely avoided a crash he knew just how to respond.
"Yup... positive. Hundred percent..." he assured him. Sam wasn't the bravest guy around and this felt way too dangerous for him. At the same time, he couldn't wait for his chance to fly at the slower (and therefore in his mind safer) model.
"How is your head not spinning yet?" he wondered out loud, just watching him was a bit disorienting for his untrained eyes.

RE: Making magical memories - Jacob King - 12-17-2023

"It is. A little bit," Hunter admitted as he started decending the same spirally way. The boy reached the ground just when Jacob's footsteps could be heard from the wooden stairscase behind the basement door so Hunter did not make a second round but instead just floated by the tree about half a meter off the ground.
"Alright, boys. This seems to be in working order," Jacob stated as he emerged from the basement into the garden, having tested that the old broom is able to get off the floor in the first place. It was of similar in outter design as Hunter's new broomstick but a bit less fancy looking. It was in quite good condition seeing to that it had been basically a toy for many years now and he hadn't bothered mending it with any spells. He glanced at his son but did not say anything for at least the boy seemed to have been wearing a helmet. Jacob put the old broom on the ground, walked over to Hunter and tapped his wand on the helmet, then swished the wand in the air, manifesting a perfect copy of it. He caught it in his hand before it could fall to the ground.

"Here, Sam, I reckon you two wear at least approximately the same size," he stated as he held out the copy helmet for Sam. It would be inferior in long-term durability but it didn't need to last longer than this one time after which he might as well vanish it away. "When you're ready go and try to get the broom off the ground into your hand the way Hunter did earlier. It must be done that way, otherwise it can't float or fly but is just a normal broom. Just holding your hand above it and saying "Up!" is not enough, though. You need to concentrate on your intent to have it rise up and into your hand. Visualise it in your mind and concentrate on it."
This is actually quite nice and easy way to introduce a young child to his own magical abilities, Jacob thought to himself.
"Don't worry if it doesn't rise right away or as fast as it did for Hunter. Most children don't succeed in it that immediately. Hunter has been doing it for many years."

RE: Making magical memories - Samuel Connor Rees - 12-18-2023

Sam could finally hear Mr. King coming and he instantly grew even more excited. He could see him carrying the old broom which could only mean one thing - he was going to try flying! How cool was that? Even if he tried he couldn't hide how he was looking forward to this. Especially after Mr. King just copied the helmed like it was nothing! He took the helmet and knocked on it a few times to make sure it was real... and it was! Sam quickly put it on. "Yeah, I think we are close enough." he grinned, barely able to concentrate to make sure the helmet was fitting correctly.

Despite all that he managed to focus on every single word that was said and nodded. "Ok, I understand... I think." it didn't sound difficult but it probably wasn't easy either. The young boy moved to the broom and looked it over. "Visualize and concentrate, got it!" but did he? It was hard to focus with all the excitement so first he slowed his breathing to calm down. He took a few slow and deep breaths and then he closed his eyes. Somehow it felt natural to do when he needed to focus. In his mind, he could clearly see the broom lifting off the ground and flying straight to his hand. That was it! "Up!" he commanded the broom. He opened his eyes to peek but nothing happened. He was sure Hunter could give him some tips but he really wanted to do this alone. Once again Sam attempted to calm his mind. "UP!" he said clearly. Nothing. "I can see what you mean Mr. King..." Maybe he was thinking too much. The third time was the charm they said! Sam opened his eyes, staring the broom down. Somehow he knew what to do this time! "UP!" he could see the broom getting off the ground, flying towards his hand. But it wouldn't be Sam if he didn't mess something up. Instead of catching it just hit him in the thumb before he finally grabbed it. It stung quite a bit. "Bloody he..." he quickly stopped himself. "Sorry sir... but I got it! Did you see that?" he turned to Hunter.

RE: Making magical memories - Stephen Hunter King - 12-20-2023

"Yeh, that was brillaint!" Hunter said, eager and excited as he flew a bit higher and over Sam's head, then made a circle above the boy until lowered himself again near Sam. He hadn't really noticed any mess-up, it had been so exciting to see his oldest friend in the neighbourhood performing magic for the first time.
"Yes, well done, Sam," Jacob praised calmly, sounding quite into this as well. This was taking him back to teaching Hunter back in the day. He walked over to the boys again.
"If you let go of the broom now you'll see it floats by itself. It's very old so it may drift a little in some direction but won't move too much. Adjust its height if you need to and then mount it as you would a bike. Sit where it feels comfortable to tug your feet behind the handles in the back. Don't try anything else yet, just get a feel of sitting on it first, okay?"
"It feels a lot like there's an invisible bike seat but much softer and more comfy," Hunter added, now slowly circleing both Sam and Jacob, flying on Sam's shoulder level whilst watching closely.

RE: Making magical memories - Samuel Connor Rees - 01-20-2024

After a moment of hesitation, Sam let the broom go and watched as it was hovering in the air. "Darn, this is so weird," he still had difficulty getting over this. Mr. King was right; it drifted slightly to the left, but Sam didn't mind. He stood next to it and moved it to what he thought would be the proper height. Now came the hard part - to sit on something that was hovering. Every instinct screamed - don't do it, you will fall, but Sam was very good at ignoring his instincts so he just sat down, but the difficult part was to get his legs off the ground. As he tried he almost lost his balance.
"This feels so strange," he chuckled.
"I guess it doesn't come with training wheels, does it?" he joked.
"But no, seriously, I got it..." he tried once more and got his feet off the ground but at the same time he almost lost his balance and nearly fell to the ground.
"You, don't even try laughing!" he pointed at Hunter. He chuckled and imagined this was just a bike. A weird, unstable bike with a weird place for the legs... as soon as he imagined that it felt much easier. He raised his legs and tugged them behind the handles.
"So... any idea how to keep your balance on this? Because I feel like I will fall every second... "